Sunday, September 26, 2010

It Ought To Be A Crime

Oh... just wait... it is a crime!  I can't believe the amount of crime that goes on in this town.  Today I had my front door, and my back window smashed.  Of course it's always kids, but I don't believe in blaming the kids when it's clearly the doing of the terrible parenting skills.  I mean, let's face it... when the parents take the kids to go outside to take a leak on the front steps and then just stand there and laugh, can you really expect those same kids to care about whether or not they do their own vandalism when the parent isn't watching?
We woke up this morning to the above surprise in our harbour.  I was thinking that with some new surprising activity in town, getting some work done without interruptions on my day off, and then some football on the satellite that works again, it should be a nice relaxing day.  Wrong!  I was only ten minutes away from being done at work when I hear a big crash, followed by the tinkling of broken glass.  I rush out to the front, only to see my front door smashed out, and nobody in sight.  So, an hour and a half later I finally have the window replaced and I'm off for home.  Just before halftime of the early game, I'm kind of dozing off, when the phone rings.  "Alarm at the store, alarm at the store, alarm at the store"!  So, I pull my rubber boots on, run over to the store, turn the alarm off, and then go searching.  In the staff room I see a big rock in the middle of the floor, and of course the window is smashed.  This time I have a witness that saw the kids running away.  A little later I come across someone who saw the first perpetrator, and it turns out that the same kid broke both windows.  When I call the cops and give them the description, of course there is nothing that anyone can do, because the kid can't be more than six.  I know the kid, he comes to the store regularly with a parent, and I bet when I let them know what their son has done, the answer will be something like "so... what do you want me to do about it?".  This town might just have to get a little better, if they expect me to stay here for three whole years.  Anyway, I'm just spouting off.  Chances are, two days from now something awesome will happen, and I'll be saying that they'll have to throw me out of town to get me to leave.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment