Monday, February 28, 2011

Where's The Beef?

No.  Really.  Where's the beef?  I just heard the east coast plane coming in, called the airport, and they told me that there was no package for me.  I was assured earlier today that my package was on it's way.  So where is it?  Maybe nobody knows.
I took yesterday off again, still feeling a little under the weather.  I fake it at work, and then revert to being your typical male big baby when he's sick.  Luckily, Fran puts up with it, and looks after me pretty good.
Since I had my mind set on meat anyway, I figured that this would be the best time to use this question that I researched a little.  I've had fillet mignon at restaurants before, our store sells tenderloin (which is by far the best meat that we sell), and last week I bought a chateau briand from the M&M section at the Co-op.  Then, I had to ask the question: "what's the difference?".  They all seemed pretty much the same to me.  Now, most of you probably know this, but it was new to me.
The tenderloin is a strip of meat along the back of the animal (cow if you're talking about steaks of course).  On a T-bone, it is the smaller side of the T.  It is the most tender cut, because it isn't weight bearing muscle.  It has a narrower end, and a wider end.  Fillet Mignon are slices of the more narrow end, and chateau briand are slices of the wider end.  The whole thing is called tenderloin, and the slices are also sometimes called medallions.  So, fillet mignon, chateau briand, medallions, and tenderloin, are all basically the same thing.  No wonder I was so confused about the different names of meat that all felt and tasted the same.  The only other thing to add, is that in "America" (why people from the U.S. are called Americans, and the rest of us from North and South America are not, is obviously worth it's own write up) every slice of the tenderloin is called fillet mignon, for the sole purpose of charging people more money (not unlike them having a smaller gallon).  Anyway, the important part is that it's awesome.  I just realized last week that I am actually allowed to take cash out of my mess account and go to another store to buy something that we don't carry.  That, together with the fact that the Co-op has an M&M section with chateau briand, means that even if that other store doesn't come through with the meat delivery, I will never have to eat crappy steaks again.  Yay!

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment