Sunday, February 13, 2011

Arctic Adventures

Now, I did tell you that I was going to return to tell you the continuing saga of Rory's attempted trip home.
I got up at 7:00 this morning to get the show on the road.  Once the truck had been running for 20 minutes, we started off up the hill.  The first little drift had some tracks through it, so we thought that all was good.  When we got to the second drift, I remembered that it's usually about this time that you have to cross over into the oncoming lane to hit the small part of the next drift.  Bam!  We're on a crazy angle, on top of a huge hard drift, no tracks, and no chance of getting across.  So, we turn around and headed back to town.
By the time that the town cleared the highway, got the runway open, and the plane was ready to take off, Rory was already three hours late.  There was only two and a half hours layover in Kuujjuaq, so the only way that he was going to make it to Montreal, was for them to hold the plane back for the extra half hour that he was already late.  Then came Kangirsuk.  I don't even know what happened there, but I know that it took another hour and twenty minutes to get out of there.  Knowing that the plane was going to be even later than it already was, the jet to Montreal took off at least two hours before Rory got there.  So, now he's stuck in Kuujjuaq.  I know how that feels (remember my little "day trip" in December that lasted a little longer than scheduled?).  After I tell a few stories like this, you get the feel for why I always say "weather permitting", when talking about travel in the North.
I still have no idea what's going to happen to Rory tomorrow...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment