Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fresh Meat

I may have lead you all to believe that there was really nothing that I learned at my meeting in Winnipeg, but that's really not true.  I learned where the closest store to me was, that had fresh meat.  As luck would have it, that particular store manager was the guy who got stranded here last weekend while he was trying to get back.  After spending the night here, and then enjoying an early morning cup of coffee prior to his AM flight time, I managed to sweet talk him into seeing if he could do a store to store transfer of some fresh meat.  He said that normally his meat manager refused to do that sort of thing, because they get no margin on product sent out that way.  Yesterday, he emailed me to let me know that as long as my request wasn't going to be extremely massive, he was going to hook me up.  So, I ordered 5lbs of ground beef and a dozen steaks of his choosing.  Let's see how that goes.
You might be asking yourself what the big deal is, since so many of you will be freezing ground beef and steaks at home, so you're not exactly eating fresh meat all of the time anyway.  Well, the problem is this, when you take your meat home and freeze it, you don't do anything to it, you just freeze it.  Then, when you thaw it out and cook it, it still tastes pretty good.  All of the meat that we get up here is processed specifically for the purpose of freezing.  I'm not sure exactly what they do to it, but whatever it is, takes all of the natural tastes out of it that we're all used to.  It's not like it's totally gross, but it certainly doesn't taste like it should.
There's always that chance with our "weather permitting" flights that we have up here, that the meat is going to get stranded somewhere, and not be exactly fresh by the time that it gets here.  I think that it's worth the risk.  Let's hope that it all works out for the best.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment