Monday, December 6, 2010

O Canada

A few days back, when I had mentioned that they wanted to take "God keep our land, glorious and free" out of the Canadian anthem, I pulled up the song on Wikipedia to see if there was actually anything to learn.  The fact is, while I thought I knew a few things from grade 3 Canadian History, I obviously missed a few facts.  I was well aware that the song was originally written in French, but somehow I was under the belief that the song that we've been singing regularly for all of my life, was a translation of the French version.  That was my biggest mistake.  As it turns out, our English version isn't nearly as good (although the direct translation probably wouldn't fit the music that well).  For your own education (unless of course, you knew all of this, and I was the only one in the dark), here is the direct translation:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious
garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights


And they want to take the word God out of our English version?  The more times I read this, the more I love it.  Canada's arms are equally prepared to both carry the cross, and wield the sword.  Our history is an epic tale full of brilliant exploits (brilliant exploits, is an awesome term).  Canada's courage (steeped in faith, is also an impressive phrase), will protect our homes and our rights.  There, of course, is the crux of the point.  Canada has a courage, steeped in faith, that will protect our rights.  Shouldn't we be brave enough to protect the right to leave the word God in our English version of the anthem?  Our arm is ready to carry the cross, but we can't mention out loud, the name of the man who might be hanged on it?  The only way that I'm OK with changing our anthem, is if we find a way to start using the original.
I was going to mention our recent weather, but I've been prattling on for too long.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment