Thursday, December 9, 2010

Aren't You From Here?

Almost every day, something else happens up here that makes me question the intelligence of the locals.  I mentioned yesterday, that there was this massive multiple day storm going on.  This morning, just before noon, it finally broke.  The planes that had been stranded here for five days now, just got off the ground around 1pm.  By 2pm there was now one lane cut through the drifts, only on the major streets.  At 3pm, someone came into the store, and was annoyed that I didn't have any milk yet.  Aren't you from here?  After 45 years of life's experience, have you not figured out how things work yet?  Have you seen a plane?  Where was this magical milk supposed to come from?  And, how did this suddenly become my fault?  I just don't understand how there can be so many middle aged folks that just don't have a clue.  There was another guy that phoned me yesterday (he wanted to talk to me because he didn't believe what Rory had told him from the post office), he was irate at the fact that we didn't have any new mail to put in his box.  Once again, where did he imagine that the mail would have come from during a blizzard, when there haven't been any planes landing in town for four days?  I keep wondering, if maybe some of these people were born in Cuba, and just emigrated here recently.  How can they not have figured out a few of the basics yet?  Mail, milk, and bread are all brought in by plane.  No plane = no mail, milk, or bread.  Isn't that pretty simple?  You've never been here before, and yet I'm sure that your wondering why I repeated myself so many times, because obviously you get it already.  And yet, these people have lived here their whole lives, and have no idea why the Northern store won't give them their mail.
Anyway, we did finally get some freight tonight (about 10 minutes prior to close), so there is hope for tomorrow.  The problem is, at this point we need $55,000 in sales over the next two days just to break even.  We got mail, we've got child tax credit cheques, we've got moonlight madness sales tomorrow night, and there's still a Super Saturday sale to go.  I've also got at least one customer that has a possibility of coming in to buy a snowmobile.  Tomorrow's going to be a 14 hour day, and we've got a huge challenge ahead of us.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment