Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sweden 6, Canada 5

Great game, terrible result!
Once again, without revealing the ending just yet, I was shocked to see that Roy was our starting goalie.  Sure, you're thinking that hind sight is 20-20, but I said that last time already.  I'm not sure what the coach is seeing during games or practices that I'm not seeing, but there is no way that with his weak performance so far, that he would have been my starter again.  That being said, after our early goal (that certainly had some luck, but involved some great effort), there was nothing that Roy could have done about their first two goals.  And then, let's face it, our next two goals were alot more luck than skill again.  So, after the first period we have a 3-2 lead, but they had two good goals, while we had one go in off of their defenceman's skate, we had a long wrister (that should have been stopped), and the lucky bounce off of the glass with half a second left.
To start off the second, they score two weak goals.  I couldn't believe that Roy wasn't pulled after the 3-3 goal, and then when he let in the fourth, I guess we might as well leave him in now.  If we weren't going to pull him on time to preserve the lead, we might as well not pull him once we're already behind.  Sweden was putting up way more of a fight than I was expecting.  The score was staying close, and we were out hitting them, but they were creating more chances, and out-shooting us by a long margin.  Now, we did score a very nice short-handed goal to tie it back up, and then Schenn scored a huge goal to give us another lead.  I guess I'm going to have to eat my words about him disappearing in the big games.  That's the biggest game that we've had so far, and he set up the tying goal, and score the go-ahead goal in the third.  Only scoring in OT would have been bigger than what he already did.
Sweden scored a pretty tough goal to tie it up, OT settled nothing, and what can you say about important games being decided by a shoot-out.  Six lead changes, huge hits up and down the ice, terribly exciting game.  Another New Year's Eve classic!  It was a shocking loss to me, but at least it didn't come during an elimination game, and we're not out of it yet.
I'll touch on tomorrow's Swiss game, and the implications of yesterday's loss, tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment