Monday, November 8, 2010

Sidney Crosby - Thumbs Down

I wish that I had a boatload of stats to back me up on this one, but I don't.  Therefore I have to resort to childish name calling instead.  Is this guy a total flamer, or what?  I might be all alone on this one, and it's not up to me to judge, but...
While we were out for our ride, we stopped right along the shore.  The wind was howling, and we were both reflecting on how close to hypothermia we were, when this little guy (who had just been swimming) hops up and stands on the rock.  Our first thought was: how does this guy's feet not freeze to the rock?  Sure, the water in the picture isn't frozen, but only because of the high salt content and the wind caused waves.  That, to me, shouldn't preclude such a small amount of water (such as what would be dripping off of this fellow's feet) from freezing, upon contact with a sub-zero rock.  The other thing, was the fact that most of my photos are landscapes, which, to everyone who's not here to know the difference, probably all look the same.  Therefore, a seagull sitting on a rock.
Now that you're wondering why I seem to have a "thing"  against Sid the kid, that may or may not have anything to do with homosexuality, I'll give you a few observations.
  1. Ever since he was a small child, he has been touted as the next face of the NHL.  Now that he's here and established, it doesn't seem to be wearing off.  That, together with my natural urge to cheer for the underdog, makes me want him to lose at everything that he does.
  2. If you'll recall the year that he won the cup, he was totally invisible during the finals, and the MVP went to Malkin.
  3. He was once again totally invisible during the gold medal game too, except for the fact that on a crazy, impossible angle, he just threw the puck towards the net, and somehow accidentally scored.
Don't get me wrong.  Obviously I wanted the Canadians to win, just not by having that guy score.  Now, all we get to hear about, was how Sidney Crosby won us the gold medal.  If he hadn't been skating around with his hands in his pockets for the first 70 minutes, we wouldn't have needed OT to do it.
I do give him credit for being very particular about what he puts his name to for endorsements.  He does Timbits (because he was one as a youngster, and he believes in the program), and now he's doing Dempster's 12 grain bread (because it's a healthier alternative to bleached white).  He endorses Nike, but only after he puts his stamp of approval on the merchandise that carries his name.  But, that's where all credit to him stops.  Prove me wrong Sid... show up for a big game once, and then tell me that you actually deserve the Mark Messier trophy for exemplary leadership.  And another thing, the third fight of your career does nothing to make me stop thinking that you should be replacing Toucan Sam as the official spokesperson of Fruit Loops.  Take that, and...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment