Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday Salluit Salutations

Woke up this morning in a huge sneezing fit, after only a few hours of sleep, sicker than a dog.  It's not like I didn't know that it was coming.  I sneezed about five times on my way to bed, and had an awful tickle in my nasal cavity.  For me, that always spells disaster.  So, even though I was feeling pretty good, I made sure that I had a box of Kleenex beside the bed, and my sweats handy, ready for an early exit from the comfy cozy confines of the bedroom.  Judging from the title, and that last line, today is obviously alliteration day (is that a paid holiday?).  Anyway, I was bolstered by the view (once the sun rose two hours later) as I gazed out the living room window.  The tide was high, the wind was blowing north (which always brings the high tide even higher on our side of the bay), the river was backed way up, and pushing great big blocks of night time ice back into the ocean.  It was the majesty of it all, that brought me to my next topic.
What's with those stupid Tim Horton's commercials?  I realize that they are trying to capitalize on the great Canadian wilderness, and that it's the bond that holds us all together, but get real!  The three guys going fishing, all meeting at the lake with coffees in there hands, the skating rink in the middle of the forest, and now the guys in the lake bringing the dock in for the winter.  Does their coffee stay hot indefinitely in those little paper cups?  How long do you think it takes to get from downtown Toronto to a secluded lake?  And, why would anyone travel more than five minutes to get a bowl of instant oatmeal that you can make at home in less than four minutes?  It's all fine and good to try to paint a romantic picture, but wouldn't anyone know that a minimum of 99% of all the "Timmie's" (would you please come up with a less gay nickname?) sold would come from a major urban centre (seeing as how I haven't found too many donut shops in the wilderness)?  Enough about that.
Bomber lost... big whoop.
Flames lost... inconsistency seems to be the only thing that they can do regularly.
Obviously I jinxed poor old Tim Thomas.  Last night he let in three goals in the first period and got yanked.  Fortunately for him, Boston came back to tie the game (only to lose it anyway), so that he wasn't on the hook for the loss.  Bad game - still undefeated.
Still expecting to have a chilly, but eventful afternoon on the quad with Rory.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. That "awful tickle" is often, in the North, just a reaction to the VERY dry indoor air combined with the VERY dry air of the Arctic... try a humidifier ...

    ReplyDelete