Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We Have Heat!

One more joy of the arctic.  Our furnace went out around 10 this morning, and we just got it working before 10 tonight.  We had a couple of space heaters going, the oven on with the door open, and ran hot water periodically to keep the water pipes from freezing.  That's also a trick, because you can only run so much hot water before your septic tank fills up and the water shuts off all together.  On the up-side, it probably didn't take that much longer to get a furnace guy up here than it does down south.  The only problem is, I realized that it was a little chilly when I came home for lunch, but thought that I just didn't have the heat turned up far enough.  It was pretty obvious when we came home from work that clearly the furnace wasn't on.  The house is pretty drafty at the best of times, so it doesn't hold the heat that well when the furnace is off.
This is just a little shot of the highway down from the airport.  It's steeper than it looks.  There are plenty of times on my way up there in the morning with the mail, that even in 4X4 I can't make it up.  No mail on those days.
Anyway, it's getting late now.  I just thought that I'd sign in and let you in on my little adventure with trying to keep warm.  I'm actually quite relieved to not have to cuddle through the night with several blankets and a small space heater.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment