Monday, March 28, 2011

Smoking in Nunavut

It was a gorgeous afternoon, the sun was shining, and it was our last day prior to heading down south.  There's no way to know how many chances I'll have when we get back, to go out onto the frozen ocean and check out the surroundings.
Interestingly, Quebec only lays claim to the mainland.  Any of the islands off of the coast belong to Nunavut.  With that being the case, when the ocean is frozen I can get to Nunavut via the quad in about 15 minutes.  I had seen the nearest island several times on my adventures with Rory, but it is on the other side of the inlet.  Over the ocean, it's no problem at all.  I knew that I didn't have a lot of time, so I just cruised up there, had a smoke on the island, took a picture, and headed on back.
The island has a small fishing/hunting village (I say village, but that's just a term I use when there are more than two shacks together in one spot), very much like there are dotting the entire coastline.  Behind one of the shacks, and standing perfectly still (so as not to be noticed), was this massive arctic hare.  I was told that there had been a caribou sighting only moments before, but I couldn't find it from the view from a nearby high point.
So, an early start tomorrow, and we're off to Montreal (weather permitting).  The weather right now is awesome, and the forecast looks pretty good as well.  We should be fine.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment