Sunday, July 31, 2011

Want A Job?

I needed one gas bar attendant for this morning, lined up two (speaking to them face-to-face), and got none.  Big surprise!  I actually did believe that one of them would show up, and got everything set up while wearing sweats and an undershirt.  After waiting half an hour (because that's still on time in Gwich'in), calling both of them and getting none, here I am in the gas bar again.  Yet, all of the customers are asking my why I'm not trying to be part of the community by showing up at the festival.  Of course I have no trouble telling them that they all want me to be open, so they can still buy gas and smokes, but none of them show up for work.  Not sure how I can be the only person counted on to open and run the place, and still find time to lounge around at the festival to show that I'm trying to be "part of the community".
I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining... I don't mind working the gas bar, and it's not like I wanted desperately to go to the festival anyway, it's just that it would be nice if there was even one person  in town that seemed to have a grasp of what it takes to have some responsibility.  And again, I shouldn't complain... I haven't seen one fight, I haven't had a single death threat (yet), the weather has been great, and I have access to fresh meat.
Tomorrow the store is closed and the gas bar is only open for five hours.  I've lined up to different girls to work the shift together, I guess we'll have to see if at least one of them shows up.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Conrad this is your mother reading your news letter at Connie and Wes Memory's home. We had a good late lunch ' eve had halva. Shopping in the afternoon and very good visiting. I am phoning your Dad to make sure he is O K. All for now. Love Ma

    ReplyDelete