Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Holy Zit - Thanks For The Leftovers

When I was little (I know, it's hard to imagine that someone born 11 lbs, 7 oz could ever have been called little), we weren't allowed to watch reruns of the 60s Batman classics, due to the fact the Robin said "Holy... whatever" too often.  That was then.  The two parts of the title are unrelated, so I'll get to the first.  I'm certainly not complaining about the nice weather that we've been having, but our little window AC unit can't quite keep up, the humidity is surprisingly high for a place that never rains, I've spent two years where it's dry as a bone, and the result is quite a nasty little crop of pimples all over my forehead.  It's way worse than when I was a teenager (and for those of you that knew me as a teenager, you know that it must be bad).  Luckily for me, unlike when I was a teen, I have Fran (aka pimple popper MD) to help me out.  If left to my own devices, I would massacre these things, and I would appear to be even more of a mess than I already do.  Almost ready for the dry cold of winter to start kicking in.  It does wonders for my complexion.
Point number two.  On the days where it is my turn in the kitchen, it's never even close to be being as tasty as Fran's, but it's always a little bit more adventurous.  When we moved into this place, there was two packages of wrapped elk in the freezer.  One had two blade steaks, and the other was a cross rib roast.  We have no idea how long they were there, or where they came from.  So of course, it would be up to me to take the steaks out of the freezer to thaw for supper (with mixed results).  It was a pretty bad cut, and had lots of gnurple, but the flavour was awesome.  Way better than I expected.  It gives me hope for the roast, that when properly slow-roasted (which will be up to Fran, of course), it will also be awesome.  I have to admit that I enjoyed the elk much more than any of the caribou.  Caribou is a pretty good ingredient to a one-dish meal, but not that great as the entree.  Anyway, I'm told that this community has lots of generosity when it comes to sharing the local game when it's abundant.  I'm looking forward to trying a few things that we may not have come across before, since this countryside seems quite different from anywhere we've been so far.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment